- 1 How do you remove tack strips without damaging concrete?
- 2 What is the best way to remove tack strips?
- 3 How do you repair concrete after removing tack strips?
- 4 Can you glue tack strips to concrete?
- 5 Do you remove tack strips when replacing carpet?
- 6 How do you remove carpet tack strips without damaging hardwood?
- 7 How do you remove a transition strip from a floor?
- 8 How do you remove old carpet from concrete?
- 9 How do you fill carpet tack holes in concrete?
- 10 How do you nail into concrete?
- 11 How do you nail wood to concrete?
- 12 How do you remove Hilti nails from concrete?
How do you remove tack strips without damaging concrete?
I did remove tack strips from a terazzo/concrete floor before refinishing the floor with an acid wash. You must not pull out the nails! You can take the woode out from around the nails and then use a dremmel tool to “shave off” the tops of the tacks. This worked beautifully.
What is the best way to remove tack strips?
To easily remove the carpet tack strip, move the pry bar near a nail and pry up while gently lifting the end of the tack strip with your other hand. With this method, you’ll never break a strip unless the wood is rotten. Oh, and do be careful when removing carpet tack strips. Those tacks are beyond sharp!
How do you repair concrete after removing tack strips?
- Wipe across the damaged concrete with a wire brush to remove cracked or chipped edges from the tack–strip nail holes.
- Sweep the area with a broom or small brush to remove any loosened concrete, dirt or other debris.
- Mix a quantity of epoxy concrete patch according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Can you glue tack strips to concrete?
Diamond Member. You use concrete tack strips, same thing as regular but they have concrete nails instead.
Do you remove tack strips when replacing carpet?
Any rusted tack strips should be removed and the carpet guys or gals will put new ones in. You can leave the tack strips on your sub floor if you‘re going to install new carpet. But, if you want to have new hardwood, laminate, or tile floors the tack strips need to be taken out.
How do you remove carpet tack strips without damaging hardwood?
It’s a pretty simple process. Use the vise grips to rip staples and nails out of the floor. Use the hammer to lightly tap the pry bar or flathead screwdriver under the tack strips, then lift them and pry them off with either the pry bar or hammer. Do this gently so you keep the damage to the floor to a minimum.
How do you remove a transition strip from a floor?
Carefully slide a wide-blade screwdriver or stiff putty knife under the transition strip at one end of the threshold. Tap the handle of the prying tool with a hammer to ease it further under the strip, then gently pry up. Move the pry tool down the length of the strip slowly, prying up small sections as you go.
How do you remove old carpet from concrete?
- Cut the carpet into 3-foot-wide sections, using a utility knife.
- Pull back a corner of the carpet, using a pair of pliers.
- Remove the carpet padding by first removing the staples which hold it to the tack strips.
- Remove the glued perimeter of the padding by using a mechanical floor scraper.
How do you fill carpet tack holes in concrete?
You can repair these holes by filling them in with a patching compound.
- Walk around the entire perimeter of the floor and identify any nails that are still in the floor.
- Scrub each hole in the floor thoroughly using a wire brush to smooth out the top of each hole and to remove any loosened edges.
How do you nail into concrete?
- Drill Pilot Holes in the Board. Begin by drilling a pilot hole through the board at each location you are nailing.
- Extend the Pilot Holes into the Concrete. Remove the board, and vacuum away any dust from each hole.
- Vacuum Out Pilot Holes.
- Drive the Nails.
How do you nail wood to concrete?
The fastest and easiest way to attach most wood parts to concrete is to use a powder-actuated gun. To use it, load a special gun nail and a. 22 caliber gun shell into the barrel. Press the nose against the workpiece, pull the trigger and the shell will drive the fastener directly into the concrete.
How do you remove Hilti nails from concrete?
Just gently pry it up and the nails should just pop out with the wood. If some get left behind just grind then flush or bend them back and forth till they snap off.