- 1 How do you reface a concrete foundation?
- 2 Can you put drywall over cinder block?
- 3 How do you cover interior cinder block walls?
- 4 Do I need a scratch coat on cinder block?
- 5 What kind of cement do you use to patch foundation?
- 6 Can crumbling concrete be repaired?
- 7 How long do concrete block homes last?
- 8 Can you insulate a cinder block house?
- 9 How do you make a concrete block wall look good?
- 10 How do you cover concrete block walls in a basement?
- 11 What kind of paint do you use on cinder block basement walls?
- 12 Should concrete blocks be filled?
- 13 How do you skim coat a cinder block?
- 14 How do you reinforce concrete block walls?
How do you reface a concrete foundation?
Resurfacing them can become a large-scale maintenance job, depending on the size of the foundation.
- Wash the surface a hose to create a clean surface.
- Apply primer to any cracks with a paint brush.
- Apply fabric.
- Seal the cracks.
- Use a taping knife to apply polymer concrete onto cracked sections.
Can you put drywall over cinder block?
Drywall is one solution. Attaching drywall directly to block is looking for trouble; it will eventually mildew, mold and ruin. The professional way to install drywall in these situations is to create a wood frame, of either 2-by-4 studs or thinner furring strips, and then hang the drywall.
How do you cover interior cinder block walls?
Ideas for Finishing an Interior Concrete Block Wall
- Pargeting. Pargeting is the traditional way of covering up concrete blocks.
- Painting. If you can’t be bothered with parging, you can still improve the look of your wall by painting it.
- Wood Paneling. You can hide your concrete blocks altogether by facing the wall with wood paneling.
Do I need a scratch coat on cinder block?
Usually you won’t need to apply a scratch coat to a cinder block or cmu wall but in some instances like installing stone veneer, you will need a good base for the material to stick and a scratch coat is perfect.
What kind of cement do you use to patch foundation?
You can also use hydraulic cement to fill in cracks, using a putty knife. Following package instructions, mix hydraulic cement with water in a bucket. Use a trowel to mix it and combine the two until the mix is homogenous.
Can crumbling concrete be repaired?
The Cure for Crumbling Concrete Steps
As long as the steps are structurally sound—meaning, they’re not spalling, flaking, or broken all the way through—you can repair most surface issues. If your patch is thicker, build the vinyl concrete patcher up in ¼ inch applications.
How long do concrete block homes last?
Poured concrete block footings and slab foundations should last a lifetime, 80 to 100 years or more provided they were quality built. The foundation termite proofing, 12 years, provided the chemical barriers remain intact.
Can you insulate a cinder block house?
The simplest and most affordable method of insulating the interior of a block wall is to install rigid foam board insulation. Available in large, three-by-five or four-by-eight sizes, the panels are lightweight and held in place with special foam-safe glue.
How do you make a concrete block wall look good?
Faux Finish you can make that ugly cinder block wall look like cut, fitted stone or brick. Cut stone is simplest look to achieve because you follow the existing grout lines. For the brick look, youll need to fake some additional grout because bricks are smaller than cinder blocks.
How do you cover concrete block walls in a basement?
Tape a one-foot by one-foot square of plastic sheeting (plastic kitchen wrap will do) to the concrete wall in your basement with duct tape, and leave it in place for 24 hours. Then remove the tape and examine the sheeting. If condensation is present inside of the plastic, there’s a humidity problem.
What kind of paint do you use on cinder block basement walls?
Paint your concrete walls with masonry paint. According to Reliable Builder, masonry paint is specifically designed for good adhesion, durability and breathability. Apply paint with a sprayer, roller or brush in even strokes. Paint should be about 1/8 inch thick to ensure waterproofing.
Should concrete blocks be filled?
The concrete blocks that are used to build block foundations are hollow. After the concrete blocks are laid, the voids can be filled with a cement-based mortar or poured concrete that contains small pea gravel.
Do you need to fill cinder blocks with concrete?
|Block Wall Thickness||Blocks Filled per Cubic Yard||Concrete/Grout per 100 Block|
How do you skim coat a cinder block?
Start at the top of the wall, near a corner. Use the trowel to scoop cement out of the bucket and onto the trowel. Fill the trowel about halfway with cement. Spread the cement on the wall in in upward motion, then finish with a circular motion over the same area.
How do you reinforce concrete block walls?
One is to dig the dirt away from the wall, twist some augers into the surrounding soil and use tie rods to pull the wall back into place. The other method uses steel I-beams that are installed on the inside of the wall. They are attached to the basement floor and the floor joists to prevent the wall from bowing inward.