- 1 How do you remove old concrete patio?
- 2 How do you remove a concrete slab without a jackhammer?
- 3 How do you remove a concrete porch?
- 4 How do you break up thick concrete?
- 5 How do you break a concrete slab by hand?
- 6 Can a rotary hammer break concrete?
- 7 How do you break a concrete slab with a jackhammer?
- 8 How much does it cost to remove a concrete patio?
- 9 How long does it take to jackhammer a concrete slab?
- 10 Does anything dissolve concrete?
- 11 What is the best concrete breaker?
- 12 What size sledgehammer breaks concrete?
How do you remove old concrete patio?
“Most concrete patios are un-reinforced, meaning that there is no rebar. So, in that case, a jackhammer is the best method to break the concrete into smaller pieces that can be shoveled away. If the area is very small, and the concrete is already cracked, a sledgehammer could also get the job done.”
How do you remove a concrete slab without a jackhammer?
When thinking about breaking up concrete, most of our minds jump straight to jackhammer. But you can probably do the work with a metal sledgehammer and a little elbow grease. Sledgehammer is the best tool to use if the slab of concrete is three inches thick or less. Dig at the base of the slab to find the bottom.
How do you remove a concrete porch?
Remove the edge of the porch along the house with the 8-pound sledgehammer, or a hammer and cold chisel. Using a jackhammer this close to the house, especially if you’re not experienced using it, can cause damage to the foundation if it slips. Clear the concrete and rebar from the area.
How do you break up thick concrete?
Start to break the concrete, starting six inches from the edge and working your way in. For slabs less than four inches thick, use a sledgehammer. For more than four inches thick, use a demolition hammer.
How do you break a concrete slab by hand?
- Dig Under the Concrete. Dig out the soil, gravel, or other material from under the concrete, using a shovel and a pickax.
- Strike the Concrete. Lightly sprinkle the concrete with water to minimize dust.
- Pry Off Stubborn Pieces.
- Move the Concrete Chunks With a Hand Truck.
Can a rotary hammer break concrete?
Rotary hammers use an electro-pneumatic hammer piston to generate high impact energy, which allows it to drill or demolish concrete.
How do you break a concrete slab with a jackhammer?
To aid in breaking up the concrete, use a “spud bar” in conjunction with the jackhammer. Jam the flat end of the spud bar into the cracks formed by the jackhammer, firmly grip the handle with both hands and use leverage to pry chunks of concrete from the pad for removal.
How much does it cost to remove a concrete patio?
The national average cost range is $500 – $5,000, with most homeowners paying around $1,856 to remove 600 square feet of concrete sidewalk. Concrete Removal Cost by Area of Removal.
|Slab||$600 – $1,000|
|Patio||$1,000 – $2,000|
|Sidewalk||$1,200 – $2,200|
|Block wall||$1,500 – $2,500|
How long does it take to jackhammer a concrete slab?
Just take a few whacks at the slab with a 12-lb. sledgehammer (Photo 1). Within 10 minutes, you’ll know whether it’s a job for a sledge or a jackhammer. Consider renting an electric jackhammer to make the job easier.
Does anything dissolve concrete?
Concrete is a durable building material that takes special materials to dissolve once it’s hardened into place. Phosphoric acid and trisodium phosphate are the main compounds used to dissolve concrete leftover from masonry work. Sometimes, that doesn’t do the trick.
What is the best concrete breaker?
My Top 7 Concrete Breakers
- DeWalt 110V 10KG Breaker.
- 2200W Electric Breaker Chisel Demolition Jack Hammer.
- Silverstorm 263570 – 1500W 15kg Electric Breaker 230V.
- PETROL: 1800W Gasoline Demolition Jackhammer Jack Hammer Concrete Drill Breaker Kit.
- PETROL: EBERTH 2.5 HP Petrol Demolition Hammer.
What size sledgehammer breaks concrete?
Standard sledgehammers measure between 7 and 15 pounds. Typical projects for a standard- size sledgehammer include removing walls, breaking concrete, and other DIY demolition and renovation tasks. Heavy-duty sledgehammers have heads that weigh 16 pounds or more.