- 1 What is the best flooring to put over concrete?
- 2 How do you lay a floor on a concrete slab?
- 3 Do you need underlay for laminate flooring on concrete?
- 4 How do you install laminate flooring over concrete?
- 5 Can mold grow under vinyl flooring on concrete?
- 6 What can I put over concrete?
- 7 Do I need a subfloor over concrete?
- 8 How flat does concrete floor need to be for laminate?
- 9 Can I put plywood over concrete floor?
- 10 What’s the best underlay for laminate on concrete?
- 11 What happens if you don’t put underlayment under laminate flooring?
- 12 What can I put under vinyl flooring on concrete?
- 13 Can you put a vapor barrier over concrete?
What is the best flooring to put over concrete?
Best Flooring for Concrete Slab Foundation
- Engineered Wood. Natural hardwood flooring offers undeniable beauty and durability.
- Vinyl. As a longstanding choice for kitchens and bathrooms, vinyl has a reputation for extreme water resistance.
How do you lay a floor on a concrete slab?
- Remove the baseboards.
- Place a long level on the floor to see how level the concrete slab is.
- Use a concrete grinder to grind down any high spots on the concrete floor.
- Fill low areas on the floor with leveling compound.
- Lay down a vapor barrier according to the manufacturer directions.
Do you need underlay for laminate flooring on concrete?
For concrete or wood subfloor use of rubber or foam underlayment is recommended. When laminate flooring is installed on concrete there are many factors that should be taken in account. First and probably most important factor is humidity of concrete surface.
How do you install laminate flooring over concrete?
Begin installation by laying a plastic vapour barrier (minimum 6 mm thick) or any other manufacturer-recommended barrier on the concrete subfloor to prevent moisture from reaching the laminate flooring. Use vinyl tape to secure the barrier and keep it from coming out.
Can mold grow under vinyl flooring on concrete?
Although vinyl plank flooring is well-known to be waterproof, it does not mean that liquids can seep through the cracks, grooves, or edges and become trapped under the planks, allowing mold to grow underneath your floors.
What can I put over concrete?
You have many choices of flooring that can be placed over concrete in any interior or exterior condition.
- Engineered Wood. Engineered wood is real wood.
- Cork Flooring. Install cork flooring over concrete as long as the floor is level and clean.
- Laminate Flooring.
- Decorative Concrete.
Do I need a subfloor over concrete?
While a subfloor is not necessary to add structural strength when you’ll be laying finish flooring on top of a concrete slab (as in a basement remodel), subflooring over concrete offers two other advantages: A subfloor will help insulate against a concrete floor that becomes overly cold in winter.
How flat does concrete floor need to be for laminate?
Most manufacturers recommend that the floor be flat to within 3/16” in a 10 ft. radius. These measurements are consistent with most other types of floor coverings. On floating floors, vertical movement needs to be kept to a minimum.
Can I put plywood over concrete floor?
If you’re installing plywood over an existing dry concrete floor, you shouldn’t have any problem. However, a new concrete floor contains a lot of moisture. So, you need to allow it to cure for at least 60 days before even bothering to check the moisture level.
What’s the best underlay for laminate on concrete?
Best underlay for laminate flooring is foam because it is simple to install, it is a good sound barrier, and is very cost effective. Some best foams have attached additional layer which functions as the best moisture barrier. Best foam which can be attached to laminate also insures that floor is not so cold.
What happens if you don’t put underlayment under laminate flooring?
If you don’t install the underlayment correctly, your laminate floors could be damaged or even ruined. In fact, some floors require an underlayment to be correctly installed in order for the warranty to be valid.
What can I put under vinyl flooring on concrete?
If you have any areas on a concrete subfloor with moisture concerns, it is recommended to use a vapor barrier underlayment that will not add any cushion to the planks. For click lock vinyls over 4mm, you’ll want to choose an underlayment specific to a vinyl floor, such as our Perfect Mat Underlayment or Floor Muffler.
Can you put a vapor barrier over concrete?
Therefore, in high-humidity areas, moisture will move to a relatively low-humidity area, even through concrete. Therefore, because concrete is porous, it’s a good idea to install a vapor barrier over your concrete subfloor before installing your flooring.