- 1 How do you lay a concrete floor?
- 2 What is the best flooring to put on a concrete floor?
- 3 Do I need underlay on concrete floor?
- 4 Can you pour concrete yourself?
- 5 Do you need rebar for 4 inch slab?
- 6 How deep does a concrete floor need to be?
- 7 Can you put flooring over concrete?
- 8 Is concrete floor cheaper than wood?
- 9 What do you put on a basement concrete floor?
- 10 How do I keep my concrete floor from sweating?
- 11 Why is my concrete floor damp?
- 12 Can you lay vinyl tile directly on concrete?
- 13 Can you pour concrete directly on dirt?
- 14 What is the cheapest way to pour a concrete slab?
- 15 How many bags of concrete do I need for a 10×20 slab?
How do you lay a concrete floor?
- Once your floor is clean, level and crack-free, mix the self-levelling cement with water or an acrylic polymer liquid, depending on the product manufacturer’s instructions, in a large bucket.
- Pour the mixture onto the cleaned floor, using a steel trowel to spread it in an even layer across the floor’s surface.
What is the best flooring to put on a concrete floor?
Ceramic tile is the designer’s choice, with tons of colors and styles. It’s unaffected by moisture and goes directly onto concrete that’s smooth and free of cracks. Vinyl tile and sheet flooring also goes directly over prepared concrete and will withstand even minor flooding with no ill effect.
Do I need underlay on concrete floor?
Concrete bases need an underlay with a moisture barrier, a damp proof membrane (DPM) or a separate barrier to protect the floor from damp. If the sub- floor is wooden the choice of underlay will depend on what is being laid on top.
Can you pour concrete yourself?
Used for walkways, patios, and floors, concrete slabs are inexpensive to install and durable enough to last for years. When you pour your own concrete slab, you ‘re giving yourself a design material that is adaptive to all of your needs.
Do you need rebar for 4 inch slab?
No, you do not need rebar for a 4 – inch slab of concrete on grade. A 4 – inch -thick slab cast on the ground and in permanent contact with it will float and rebar is not required. Rebar is recommended on concrete measuring 5 – 6 inches thick.
How deep does a concrete floor need to be?
Standard concrete floor slab thickness in residential construction is 4 inches. Five to six inches is recommended if the concrete will receive occasional heavy loads, such as motor homes or garbage trucks. To prepare the base, cut the ground level to the proper depth to allow for the slab thickness.
Can you put flooring over concrete?
Laminate flooring can be installed over concrete, wood or carpet subfloor or other surfaces. Installation of good quality underlayment is highly recommended. Installing underlayment is easy but it has to be done precise to avoid any tears.
Is concrete floor cheaper than wood?
It is possible for a “fancy” concrete floor to be more expensive than an economical hardwood floor. In general, a tight budget will find concrete floors more budget-friendly, but it depends on the design and finish of the concrete floor.
What do you put on a basement concrete floor?
5 of the Most Durable Basement Flooring Options
- Luxury vinyl tile. Luxury vinyl tile, also known as LVT, comes in planks or squares.
- Marmoleum. We love recommending Marmoleum for basements.
- Ceramic or porcelain tile. Tile can be a great option for basement floors.
How do I keep my concrete floor from sweating?
Turn down the air conditioning/turn up the heat to keep the concrete floor temperature and the air temperature at similiar levels. Use a dehumidifier to remove moisture from the air and reduce the condensation. Use a penetrating sealer to seal the concrete and keep out moisture.
Why is my concrete floor damp?
Concrete is a naturally very porous material and water can rise up or travel through capillaries which can lead to damp floors and mould issues. The easiest problems to isolate and repair with damp – floors are issues with above-ground services, such as leaking pipes.
Can you lay vinyl tile directly on concrete?
Vinyl tile can be installed over concrete if the concrete is clean, smooth and dry. Repair any holes or cracks. You can sometimes lower high spots using a coarse-grit abrasive on a belt or disc sander.
Can you pour concrete directly on dirt?
Long story short, yes you can pour concrete over dirt.
What is the cheapest way to pour a concrete slab?
One of the least expensive ways to get concrete is to mix your own. You can buy bags of the mix from a home improvement store. Typically, you only have to add water for it to be ready to pour. However, it is important to get the ratio right and to mix the concrete thoroughly.
How many bags of concrete do I need for a 10×20 slab?
A 60-pound bag yields. 017 cubic yards, and an 80-pound bag yields. 022 cubic yards. For a 10 x 10 slab, you would need 77 60-pound bags or 60 80-pound bags.